Now that I've completely irked most of America, I guess I'll follow up with a little light-hearted post. One of my latest findings and a fun blog to visit, On the Verge has tagged me to quit being so controversial and just write something silly. It requires me to post 8 random pieces of information about me just in case the haters might want to reconsider.
1) I squaredance. Yes, honest-to-goodness squaredancing, you know, with a caller and all. Okay, it's Fain who does the calling and she's usually all liquored up on Vodka and Mountain Dew, but it only makes it harder. You cannot understand a word that woman is saying, and then add the liquor.....sheesh. I get points for that. No, I do not wear one of those goofy skirts with the white shoes. Cardiogirl--stop laughing.
2) I swear like a truck driver. And well. My kids won't be learning the bad words on the school bus or on the street because their mother has used them all. No, I am not proud of it, but it is what it is. And I'm a creative curser too. Never have you heard the F word used in so many contexts as when something goes wrong. I want to blame my years in the traffic department at previous jobs, but I think it started sooner than that. My mother won't admit it today, but I think she taught me early on.
3) I hand-quilt. This is the closest I will ever be to Laura Ingalls Wilder and that whole Little House on the Prairie thing. (Did you know that she hated to sew?) Anyway, someday I will take photos of my quilts and post them. I have some doozies that I am proud of. For the quilters out there--I machine-piece, hand-applique, and hand-quilt my quilts. If you aren't a quilter--no, I do not sell them.
4) My first really serious boyfriend in high school was a jockey. Yeah, he was short--but not that short. It was fun to go to the track and see him race.
5) My dad died when I was 7 and that has formed who I am. Dr. Phil says we have life altering events--that was mine. I think a lot about losing a loved one and it bothers me deeply when a child loses a parent at a young age. It is scary how little you truly remember when you are that young. I always wonder how my children will remember me.
6) I wear make-up ALL of the time, even at the pool. It may just be lipstick, but that counts, I think. I find this drives people NUTS, although I don't know why. I didn't do this when I was young, but now I have age spots and stuff that are really sensitive to the sun--it is more for protection than it is for beauty, but people don't believe me when I say that. It really is not a vanity thing. Really.
7) I always wanted to be a veterinarian when I was young, but people discouraged me from actually doing it. Maybe that's why I am so into helping animals now--I try to "save" them. I am a sucker for little furry guys like hamsters and mice--but I can't have them as pets because their lives are too short and it makes me cry when they die. Oh, and they never die an "easy" death--they linger and look all icky and stuff before they croak weeks later.
8) I still have my Partridge Family albums from when I was in the second grade. Yes, I have a turntable on which to play them, but sadly, never do. It's just the thought that they are there that makes me happy. I just loved that David Cassidy. Sigh.
Okay, I've got to name a few folks in which to participate (I always hate that part) and I'm running out of time, so I'd love it if you just play along willingly. Please join in and let me know if you did so I can go and read yours and laugh at you too.