Saturday, January 11, 2014

Frozen

No, not the movie, silly....the hawk.  The bird is frozen...solid.  As in dead as a doornail.

We found it between the houses the other day.  And being that this is the neighbor that never cleans up dog poop, I was guessing this thing was gonna sit there for another 10 years if I didn't reach over the fence and clean it up.

Thank goodness it was frozen solid because a) we were all sorta squeamish about picking it up and b) it would have been messy and icky to clean up otherwise.  Blech.

Note the talons on that sucker.  I'm thinking the little birdies at the feeder are singing a hip-hop version of "Ding Dong the Hawk is Dead" today.   This bugger has been haunting my feeder for a long time.  

And isn't it weird to just find a big, honkin' bird dead in your yard?  I'm always finding sparrows, and we found a grackle dead by the pond the other day....but a hawk?!  Criminy. 


14 comments:

Patty Woodland said...

Hawk's gotta die.
Poor thing.

BumbleVee said...

He might have hit a window or something.... they do fly pretty fast and maybe he couldn't change gears mid dive...

Willow said...

No mind you I am not laughing at the hawk being dead ( although my chickens may) but you had me laughing several times with your wit ! I can see sparrow singing a song from Oz and little Oliver from some such English fairy tale saying"Criminey" ! heh and now I have an urge to watch Mary Poppins. Oh gawd it's cabin fever here in New England !!

Katnip Lounge said...

A gift from Cod for Hobbes.

Ann said...

I wonder if the little birds all ganged up on him.

Diane Cayton-Hakey said...

Forgot to de-ice before takeoff.

catskillblogger said...

Poor thing. What a way to go, frozen to death.

vanilla said...

Don't know what happened, but Ann's suggestion is interesting. I once saw a platoon of many different birds gang up on an owl. Killed it.

Sharkbytes said...

Gotta be the cold temps, but perhaps it was weakened by other factors.

Lin said...

Patty--I know they die, but you just never find their bodies in your yard. Well...I don't anyway. It was sad to see.

BumbleVee--I don't think so as this was between two very close houses. I didn't see any markings or feathers on the windows nearby either. I don't know what happened to him.

Willow--I've got cabin fever too. I mean, when the highlight of your day is a dead hawk....

Katnip Lounge--He wouldn't know what to do with it....doesn't come from a can.

Ann--Oh, maybe! I can hear them now..."Let's get HIM!"

Diane--Hee! Hee! Or he just froze to death sitting there waiting for the little birdies to come out.

Catskillblogger--I think that is what happened because he didn't have any damage on him. :( That cold was horrible to man, beast and machine.

Vanilla--Hmmmm...I wonder if they had enough of his eating of their friends?

Sharkey--It may have been old...or sick...and the cold put him over the edge. I know it did me and my cars!

Catherine said...

Poor birdie!
Hmmm...bird on ice. :(
xo Catherine

Lisa @ Two Bears Farm said...

RIP hawk

Debbie said...

hehe, poor hawk but yes your little birdies are probably doing a happy dance!!

Veronica Lee said...

Awww! Poor bird!