Saturday, January 18, 2014

Puzzle time with Morty

I'm on the phone with Em and we are just sorta chit-chattin. Not sayin' much....just making small talk.  I've got big excitement at the house so I gotta wrap it up.

" Well....okay...so....uh....well, I love you. I'll talk to you soon...." I'm easing out of the call....

She keeps talking for a bit more and I have to interrupt her to say something to Joe. 

"No, no, Joe. It goes HERE.  Not there.  Quit handing me that....I can find my own pieces..."

This goes on for a bit until I have to explain to Emma what we are doing and why I have to hang up the phone.....

We are working on a puzzle.

In order to fight cabin fever, I went out and bought a 1000-piece puzzle for us to do instead of sitting on the computer or the couch watching TV each night.  You know, get the brain and the eyeballs a-movin' a bit, stir up the fun, challenge the mind and all that good stuff.

It's all good, except we are sorta addicted to that damn thing.  We come home from work and stick in a piece.  We work on it before dinner, after dinner and until we are bleary-eyed and remember that we have to get up early for work.  And then we aim to place just one more piece....

So, Em's call is just holding us up.  And while I'm all about walking away from the puzzle while we have full conversation, I ease my way back into the family room when the idle chat kicks in.  I can't leave Joe alone with the puzzle for too long, you see.

At one point, Em says "You two are ridiculous. You sound like that old Jewish couple from the Swiffer commercials--you know, Lee and Morty...."

Ah, yes. 

Morty and I finished that puzzle.  We are heading out to the store to get another.  We are a fun couple on the move, you know.


20 comments:

Jen Chandler said...

Haha! I love this! And I love the comparison to that feisty couple on the Swiffer commercial. Too cute! Enjoy your puzzles, Lee!

Cheers,
Jen

Grace said...

I think a lot us see ourselves in Lee and Morty...

vanilla said...

We are going through the puzzles here this winter like, well like Lee and Morty.

Patty Woodland said...

If you start dancing in the kitchen with a mop - GET COUNSELING.

Secondary Roads said...

What Patty said! And hurry, before it's too late.

Okay, I haven't seen the commercials. Thanks to NetFlix and the DVR, I don't see many of those things.

We like puzzles too. Haven't done one in a while though.

Sharkbytes said...

ooooo- i LOVE puzzles. Race ya'

Kathy said...

Yes, what Patty said! Also, how to you puzzle with cats in the house? Certainly you must have to protect it. Do you keep it locked up in a room? Inquiring minds want to know.

Diary of a Mad Bathroom said...

Is this what I have to look forward to when my kids are out of the house?

That couple in the commercial are from Long Island. They remind me of my in-laws.

Katnip Lounge said...

HA! You're as bad as my PARENTS!

Ann said...

So is Em saying Lee and Morty are ridiculous? I think they're kind of cool...lol

Alice Marie said...

Hee hee hee I LOVE Lee and Morty!! They're so adorable. But I agree, how DO you do a puzzle with cats in the house? Alice would snag a piece within the first 2 minutes.

Lin said...

Jen--It's amazing how quickly you can turn into Lee and Morty when the kids leave. Not that they aren't cute....but it's the doing everything together, including housework, that is nuts.

Grace--They are cute how they work together on stuff...

Vanilla--I think we need a Traveling Puzzle group. I'll pass mine on to you, you pass yours on....

Patty--Uh....does dancing in the kitchen with the cat count?

Chuck--Morty and Lee clean house together and are adorable doing it. It's one commercial I like, actually. I think we need to start a puzzle party.

Sharkey--You want to do a Traveling Puzzle thing?? I'm thinking we can send our puzzles to each other. Would be cheaper than buying new ones.

Kathy--I think the photo says it all. They leave it alone for the most part. Hobbes wants no part of it, but Grace loves to lay on it while I'm working on it. I am missing one piece though. I think they hid it to mess with me. We have it open, on a card table, but they don't really mess with it.

DG--Yes, this is our new life. It's sorta nice, but I feel like I'm 8000 years old sometimes. That said, we do go out and do some nice things too. It's a mixed bag.

Katnip Lounge--I know! Don't we sound like we are 8000 years old?!

Ann--I love them, actually. They are so cute working together. I call Joe "Morty" now.

Alice Marie--I am missing a piece of that puzzle...can't find it anywhere. Ugh. BUT...we leave it on the card table and they don't mess with it. Hobbes doesn't really jump on things (too fat) and Grace is too old to care anymore. She does like to jump up and lay on it when I'm working on it with the lamp....it's soooo warm.

Candy C. said...

That is too funny and I love those commercials too! :)

Hot Rocks said...

I love puzzles! Yes they are addicting and its too bad more people didnt spend time doing puzzles instead of watching all the garbage on TV!

catskillblogger said...

I need to get my parents a puzzle

Catherine said...

Haha ~ I love that couple on the commercial!
Good luck with your puzzle. Much more patience then me.
xo Catherine

Duni said...

How is Em? Is she enjoying college life?
I'm afraid I don't like puzzles...too impatient :)

Debbie said...

hehe, your catching on!! empting the nest is not so bad after all, right?!?!

it took me a while to catch on but now when the call, i think twice about answering the phone. it's like "i'm busy over here" got lot's of fun stuff to do today and that did not include anything i was doing for the last 20 years with you ;)

too mean ;)

Casey said...

I have been into puzzles like crazy lately too. Except I buy all sorts of nutty ones at the thrift stores to do. The last 1000 piece one I did was missing 2 pieces and I almost cried.

It is peaceful though, no?

Lin said...

Candy--It's funny how we have officially turned into those people.

Hot Rocks--That's what we are doing! nothing good on TV these days.

Catskillblogger--What about you?!

Catherine--Well...not really.

Duni--Em is doing well! Thanks for asking. She doesn't miss her father and I acting all old though!

Debbie--I miss raising my kids and doing stuff with them. I don't miss the work--the laundry and cleaning and stuff. I like my quiet house though. :) I'm slowing liking it.

Casey--I am missing one piece from this puzzle, but I know where it is and I marked the box. It is low in one corner, so at least we know it's not there. I'm thinking we need a puzzle exchange group.