Thursday, January 16, 2014

Thank You Poop

Because of the pond, we get all sorts of creatures in our yard year round.  We have a heater and an air diffuser in the pond to keep an air hole open, so fresh, moving water is available for whoever needs a drink.  Opossum, birds, squirrels, and raccoon have all been known to pop in for a snack and a sip of water--much to the delight of the kitties who watch from inside.

Over the holidays, we spied a big rabbit in the back...hopping from plant to plant, nibbling on whatever greenery was popping through the snow.  Yeah, I was cursing him, but I didn't chase him away--I figured he needs to eat too, even if it is my perennials.  Sigh.

I don't mind the expense of the no-mess, peanut-laden bird food, it's worth the enjoyment we get from seeing them visit our yard. I like that all sorts of odd-balls come over too--the pigeons, the wild parrots, Cat Friend...you name it.  We are apparently the hot spot for surviving (or not, in the case of the frozen hawk) the winter.

I only have one gripe....

it's the Thank You Poop that I'm left with.





15 comments:

Marg said...

We so agree with you. We have lots of various animals that scout out the donkey barns in hopes for a snack and they always leave their calling cards.
Take care.

Candy C. said...

Hubby is fed up with the thank-you poop the birds have been leaving all over his truck when they sit in the rafters...

Sharkbytes said...

I had dreams of making a really wildlife friendly back yard. Started a small pool and more selected plantings, but then the income went bye-bye. Nice.

Secondary Roads said...

We used to have two or three feeders that we kept full all winter. That finally got to be more of a chore than we were willing to cope with.

Patty Woodland said...

Every body poops

Grace said...

Hey, they give what they can...a Thank you is a Thank You...

Alice Marie said...

I agree with Grace, what else can they give in return?

**giggle**

BeadedTail said...

Well it's good they feel so comfortable at your house that they can poop. Many visitors can't do that!

Lin said...

Marg--Criminy. When spring comes, I gotta go out there with a pooper scooper...and I don't even have a dog!

Candy--Oh, yeah. They are rude, aren't they?

Sharkey--The only real cost here is the expensive bird food we buy--and that is by choice. I could probably not feed them and still offer shelter and fresh water and they'd come. We don't spend a lot on entertainment, so that budget goes to feeding the birds.

Chuck--It IS a ton of work! We just have one thistle feeder and one bird feeder--and I keep that only half full. I get tired of filling it though.

Patty--I dunno. I know some people who act like they haven't for years. ;)

Grace--I found a pile of rabbit pellets yesterday. Criminy. Wait until Hobbes goes back out....that won't happen anymore.

Alice Marie--I am looking a gift horse in the mouth, Alice Marie.

Beaded Tail--That is hilarious. Thanks for the giggle today :)

Ruckus Eskie said...

Be careful out there!

Catherine said...

Well...SH** happens... ;)
xo Catherine

Ann said...

walk carefully and carry a big pooper scooper

catskillblogger said...

Eww. Glad I don't have to deal with that.

Duni said...

Oh, our whole garden is full of creatures! Love watching them from the window. Yeah, the poop part isn't too pleasant. Lots of it on the terrace, but a good hosing down usually takes care of that. At least it's organic :)

Veronica Lee said...

I'm glad too, I don't have to deal with that!
That critter looks so cute! Is that a possum?